5 Tips for Protecting Yourself from the Sun
Whether we’re fishing with our buddies, cruising with friends or just relaxing outside, us boaters love to enjoy the sunshine. Unfortunately, too much sun exposure is bad for our skin. The solution isn’t to stay indoors; it’s to take precautions so we can keep our skin safe while still enjoying the sun. Here’s a few tips on how to do that.
- Applying the right lotions will protect your skin from Ultraviolet rays. Sunblock shields your skin against UV rays, while sunscreen should be applied several minutes before sun exposure and has a chemical that absorbs UV rays. Make sure to reapply lotion regularly.
- Appropriate clothing, such as wide-brimmed hats, can protect your skin. You can also get specific sun protective clothing that blocks UV rays.
- Drinking plenty of water will allow your skin to stay hydrated and keep it from drying out.
- Allow your skin to have a break. Occasionally get out of the sun and into the shade for a couple of minutes.
- The sun is less powerful in the morning and late in the day when it’s not directly overhead, making those great times to be out on a boat.